Thank you for your interest in the Pennsylvania Voter Registration Cup!
Get ready to battle it out on the Inspire Ice. Schools across the state of PA (from Pittsburgh to Philly!) are competing for the PA Voter Registration Cup for the first time. The winning school will earn the honor of hosting the traveling PA Voter Registration Cup trophy at their school for one year.
- Each school represents their own cup team.
- Your team name will be your high school name.
- Points are accumulated based on the scoring system found below.
- If a school achieves 100% voter registration in the first week - that is awesome! You can still earn points for the following weeks through posting on social media, registering students to vote at other high schools, planning voter engagement activities, and promoting the upcoming May 21st municipal primary election.
- If your school has been registering students to vote during the 2018-2019 school year, IUS staff will award your team one point per registration and pledge to vote to start the competition. You will not need to submit these points, IUS staff will add them to the spreadsheet for you.
Each school must turn in their weekly totals every Friday by 5PM in the online form at PA Voter Registration Cup Points Submission Form.
- It is best to have 1 Inspired Leader or teacher designated to submitting your points each week so there is less confusion. All forms and pledge cards must be mailed to your regional manager/coordinator on Fridays. If you need a prepaid label to mail your pledge cards/reg forms, let Hilary know by Friday at 3:00 PM. If you have questions about the PA Voter Reg Cup competition and how to tally up your points, contact Hilary at (304) 312-7852.
- Updated scores will be announced every Monday on this webpage and on the Inspire U.S. Instagram. --> @inspire2vote <--Follow the Instagram now!
- The League runs from Monday, February 4th - Friday, April 26th. The winner will be announced Monday, April 29th.
- 1 point per voter registration form
- 1 point per pledge card (this includes cards for anyone who pledges to vote or pledges to register when eligible)
Double points per every matched voter reg form and pledge card. So if you get 1 person to complete BOTH the voter registration form AND the pledge card, your team receives 4 points total.
FOR EXAMPLE: If Inspire High School registers 10 students...
- 3 of those students were already registered so they ONLY completed “Pledge to Vote” cards = 3 POINTS
- 2 students registered for the first time and ONLY completed a voter registration form = 2 POINTS
- 5 students were new registrations and completed BOTH the voter registration form and the pledge card = 20 POINTS
- 25 POINTS TOTAL
- FOR EXAMPLE: If Inspire High School registers 10 students...
- 15 points for scheduling a VRD for the senior class - must confirm with teacher/administration and Hilary that this is a confirmed date. (“Big” VRD could include a day of classroom presentations, VRD’s during advisory periods, an assembly, or all-day library drive.)
- 50 points - Complete 85% voter registration of senior class for Governor’s Civic Engagement Award BY APRIL 1ST (for more details on this contact Hilary)
- 25 points - Complete 65% voter registration of senior class for Governor’s Civic Engagement Award BY APRIL 1ST
- 25 points - Complete and submit the application for the Governor’s Civic Engagement Award by Monday, APRIL 1ST (Don’t be fools! Apply early for the GCEA BY April Fool’s Day!)
Voter Engagement and “Get Out the Vote” (GOTV) for the May 21st PA primary election
15 points per GOTV plan per school - Plan must include dates of planned activities. (Your plan might look like a timeline or a list of activities, dates, and students who will be responsible for planning and carrying out the activity) Examples of GOTV activities may include:
- “Very Important Voter Breakfast”
- Classroom presentations to help your classmates find their polling location/sample ballot
- Mock election
- Voting machine demonstration
- Social media campaign
- Schoolwide campaign - Can include creating and hanging up posters/flyers to advertise election, announcements, etc.
If you have questions about what a “GOTV plan” means or need tips for setting up an event, contact Hilary at email@example.com.
A school will receive 15 points per GOTV plan.
- 25 points if you register another school to vote (Go to school and actually host a VRD. Registering one friend at another school does not qualify. If you need help figuring out how to do this, ask Hilary!)
- 45 points if you go to a Vocational/Technical school to register students to vote (Go to school and actually host a VRD. Registering one friend at a vocational/tech school does not qualify. If you need help figuring out how to do this, ask Hilary!)
- 25 points if you attend a local candidate forum, debate, etc. or host something similar at your school. Must show proof you attended forum (picture, a small description of who was there, etc.)
SOCIAL MEDIA: Use #inspire2vote and #pavoterregcup
- 5 points for a Twitter post related to voter registration and/or the May 21 Primary Election.
- 5 points for IG post related to voter registration and/or the May 21 Primary Election.
- 5 points for a Facebook post related to voter registration and/or the May 21 Primary Election.
- 5 points per selfie with Inspire t-shirt.
- Must use #inspire2vote and #pavoterregcup on every social media post to earn credit. (This is how we will keep track of your points)
- All social media posts must be unique. You cannot simply post the same tweet or picture 5 times and get 25 points. They all must be at least slightly different.
- It is not required but it is encouraged for each school to start their own social media page for Inspire. This just makes it easier for us to count up the social media posts. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for help with your logo if you plan to start your own. If you don’t make a unique Inspire IG account, consider seeing if you can host a social media day-long takeover on a school or already existing school club account.
If you have any questions, please contact Hilary Kinney at email@example.com or 304-312-7852.